Disaster and emergency response planning, preparation, training, and practice topics go here.

AR10T Survival Forum

More
10 years 5 months ago #38416 by Siscowet
Replied by Siscowet on topic AR10T Prepper Forum
Most well water is not filtered in the United States. Personally I trust well water where I live as much as any water in the US. In our other house in an agricultural area on the edge of a large metro area, I use a rverse osmosis system to remove potential trace chemicals such as Atrazine. A herbicide that is a known carcinogen. In the not too distant future I will be going to a whole house RO system. Cheap insurance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #38427 by OleCowboy
Replied by OleCowboy on topic AR10T Prepper Forum

Siscowet wrote: Most well water is not filtered in the United States. Personally I trust well water where I live as much as any water in the US. In our other house in an agricultural area on the edge of a large metro area, I use a rverse osmosis system to remove potential trace chemicals such as Atrazine. A herbicide that is a known carcinogen. In the not too distant future I will be going to a whole house RO system. Cheap insurance.

All well water should be filtered and you are right, most folks do not, this is a mistake, especially if you are using a RO system.

Why? Stuff the pump will pull up from the well, you would be amazed. My well was drilled in '45, I pull water at 628 ft and the well is 728 deep. While its not often I pull up much more than fine particles, the pipes in the house are FULL literally of grit, rocks and junk from all the years there was no filter system.

Before I got my filter system built I had to clean out the faucets on a regular basis.

Install a filter at the pump station (in my case 2) and they need to be changed monthly from very fine sediment and sand that floats in the water.

My set up, going to add a 3rd filter to this. Each filter filters smaller particles.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: NightForce

More
10 years 5 months ago #38459 by Siscowet
I filter mine now, and then run it through a Calcite treatment, as water in coniferous forests is somewhat acidic. Then a softener to remove the iron which we have a lot of being in iron mining country.

More
10 years 5 months ago #38513 by Libertarian623
Replied by Libertarian623 on topic AR10T Prepper Forum
Cowboy - you are one handy dude.
Sisco- I started using all purified drinking water even though I am on a municipal supply, for the same reasons.

More
10 years 5 months ago #38585 by OleCowboy

Libertarian623 wrote: Cowboy - you are one handy dude.
Sisco- I started using all purified drinking water even though I am on a municipal supply, for the same reasons.

Thanks, I recently ran water out to the barn and the shed, right at 320' of pvc pipe underground. I am now getting ready to plumb the house with PEX.

Past 3 days I have been dressed up in a Tyvek suit and mask, pulled down the ceiling in the dining room and kitchen, am opening it up to expose the rafters which the wife is going to white wash.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #38588 by Siscowet

OleCowboy wrote:

Thanks, I recently ran water out to the barn and the shed, right at 320' of pvc pipe underground. I am now getting ready to plumb the house with PEX.

Past 3 days I have been dressed up in a Tyvek suit and mask, pulled down the ceiling in the dining room and kitchen, am opening it up to expose the rafters which the wife is going to white wash.

Must be chore week for all of us.
I acid etched and epoxy sealed the garage floor the last two days, and tomorrow I gotta go put in a water heater in my son's college house. That open beam ceiling sounds neat. Take some pictures when its done.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Siscowet.

More
10 years 5 months ago #38590 by NightForce
Replied by NightForce on topic AR10T Prepper Forum
Thanks for showing us your setup Cowboy. I've got to do something similar for my home. We have well water here too and occasionally sand does become an issue.....I wonder what else id in the water?

More
10 years 5 months ago #38602 by OleCowboy

Siscowet wrote:

OleCowboy wrote:

Must be chore week for all of us.
I acid etched and epoxy sealed the garage floor the last two days, and tomorrow I gotta go put in a water heater in my son's college house. That open beam ceiling sounds neat. Take some pictures when its done.

Yea, I am trying to convince my wife of doing that in our laundry room, but she want to do polished concrete when we do the rest of the house (its concrete now).

Not sure on your sons home, but if its long term then I suggest you look hard at tankless hot water setup if you have access to natural gas or LP. Here is a install I did: www.savagesun4x4.com/enter/untitled/offt...ter_install_p_2.html

I STRONGLY recommend this to anyone here when they go to replace the hot water heater!

More
10 years 5 months ago #38603 by OleCowboy

NightForce wrote: Thanks for showing us your setup Cowboy. I've got to do something similar for my home. We have well water here too and occasionally sand does become an issue.....I wonder what else id in the water?

Then you MAY want to consider doing a 3 gang filter. I will add a 3rd in the center of this prob this summer. I have also switched to see thru filters. I use progressive filtering. Filter 1 is 20 microns, 2, 15 m, 3, 10m, all with see thru cannisters so you can see when you need to change. The first 2 need it every 30 days.

Also have a dedicated see thru on the hot water heater and at the washing machine.

If you have a well changces are you have scale in your system. To keep it from forming and to de scale use this, it WORKS!!!!! Its called an Eddy, lifetime warranty, all you need is electricity tot he pump house, 110v, plug in and do the warp and thats it!

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, Siscowet, Libertarian623, NightForce

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #38662 by NightForce
Replied by NightForce on topic AR10T Prepper Forum
Great information Cowboy, thanks for all the help! :cheers:
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by NightForce.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OleCowboy