Disaster and emergency response planning, preparation, training, and practice topics go here.

AR10T Survival Forum

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #19834 by Moby
AR10T Prepper Forum was created by Moby
Should there be a prepper section of AR10T???

Reverting back to my Coast Guard days I’ve seen nature in her worst moods. It isn’t IF you will have to deal with a natural disaster but WHEN!
I’m not trying to be an alarmist but Joplin MO, Katrina, Texas & Colorado wild fires, Hurricane Sandy, and countless other natural emergencies did and will continue to interrupt the normal lives of people. Eight MILLION people lost power during hurricane Sandy. How many had generators? Food, water, emergency heating devices? Want to see just how prepared you are? Take the challenge in your own home. Throw the main electrical breaker off for 5 days. YOU WILL BE SURPRISED JUST HOW UNPREPARED YOU MAY BE. Want to go a step farther, shut off the water too. Watch how fast your world changes just for a short time. Then remember that Sandy changed people’s lives for months!
S does hit the F and disasters happen. Some will be prepared for them, most will not. As a Coast Guardsman I learned to expect Mother Nature to have a fit once in a while. I do not prep for the zombie apocalypse, but if you’re prepared for natural disasters, you’re prepared for most anything. That includes food, water, clothing, environmental control (heat and cooling), home defense, neighbor assistance etc. Think nothing will ever happen? Ask folks in New Jerry.

Take a look. Ya might pick up a trick or two. Have some info to share?
Please register and add.

www.elliscountypreppers.com
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by Moby.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #19963 by Akai
Replied by Akai on topic AR10T Prepper Forum
Ask and ye shall receive :thumbs: Here we go now:
I have 500 gallons of water it's a start.
and what do you have?

More
11 years 6 months ago #19967 by LebbenB
Replied by LebbenB on topic AR10T Prepper Forum
What most homeowners don't realize is that in the event of a water outage they have 30-55 gallons of water on hand - The hot water heater. Most have a drainage valve at the base allowing the owner to access it.

Anybody need directions on how to make a solar still?

More
11 years 6 months ago #19968 by Akai
Replied by Akai on topic AR10T Prepper Forum
Thanks, now I have 550 gallons and forgot the toilet tank :pinch: , probably another 7 gallons.
Sure if you have them post them. :cheers:

More
11 years 6 months ago #19984 by Siscowet
Replied by Siscowet on topic AR10T Prepper Forum
I have two Katadyn gravity water filters and Lake Superior right in front of me, Along with five gallons of sodium hypochlorite.

More
11 years 6 months ago #20002 by Siscowet
Replied by Siscowet on topic AR10T Prepper Forum
If you are a Prepper, buy yourself a pressure cooker and learn home canning. The first thing to go will be the electrical grid. Canning will preserve meats, fish, and just about anything else.

More
11 years 6 months ago #20017 by Sharkey
Replied by Sharkey on topic AR10T Prepper Forum
I haven't done any prepping "per say". What I do primarily is just keep track of all the people in my area that DO prep but don't own weapons... :laugh:

More
11 years 6 months ago #20018 by Moby
Replied by Moby on topic AR10T Prepper Forum
Make sure you flush that H/W heater every 90 days.
Otherwise the crud settles to the bottom and contaminates the water,

LebbenB wrote: What most homeowners don't realize is that in the event of a water outage they have 30-55 gallons of water on hand - The hot water heater. Most have a drainage valve at the base allowing the owner to access it.

Anybody need directions on how to make a solar still?

More
11 years 6 months ago #20019 by Sharkey
Replied by Sharkey on topic AR10T Prepper Forum
Moby, what is THE best and cheapest way to purify your own water?

Also, how about salt water?

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #20028 by Moby
Replied by Moby on topic AR10T Prepper Forum
A method taught in South Africa to purify fresh water is to fill a plastic water bottle and lay it on its side in the sun for 6 to 8 hours. The UV in the suns rays are not stopped by plastic as they are by glass.

modernsurvivalblog.com/health/how-to-pur...water-with-sunlight/

For salt water a cheap solar still can be made from a 5 gallon bucket, a coffee can, a brick, some plastic wrap, a piece of twine you can wrap around the top of the bucket, and a Pebble. Put the brick in the bucket, add salt water up to the level of the top of the brick. Place the coffee can on the brick and center it in the bucket opening. Cover loosely with plastic wrap leaving enough slack in the plastic so it can form a conical shape downward and secure with the twine. Place the pebble on top of the plastic wrap centered over the coffee can to create the conical shape in the plastic. As the suns heat evaporates the water from the brine solution the vapor condenses on the plastic wrap and drains into the coffee can.
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by Moby.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sharkey