Disaster and emergency response planning, preparation, training, and practice topics go here.

AR10T Survival Forum

More
11 years 6 months ago #20881 by Siscowet
Replied by Siscowet on topic AR10T Prepper Forum
:thumbs: I would say you guys have it covered. One thing, any Reverse Osmosis system or anything like it to treat the water? LDS do this as a way of life, nice of them to loan out the canners. And getting to know the people in the community and around you is an important part of prepping. There is safety in numbers when you have each others back.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #20902 by OleCowboy
Replied by OleCowboy on topic AR10T Prepper Forum

glkingar wrote: We belong to several food coops and buy food in bulk. We will be receiving 80lbs of boneless skinless organic chicken in a few weeks for $150.00. It is not frozen when we get it. We break it up into 4 breast to a package and vacuum pack it with a commercial vacuum packer and then freeze it. We buy wheat and other grains and have a none electric and electric grain mill. We package it into #10 cans add oxygen absorbent packs and seal the cans. We have a lake nearby that we can get water from and will be installing a rain catchment system in the next year. We have about a years supply of many items and rotate items so that we are used to using them and to keep them fresh. If you are interested in the meat source it is zayconfoods.com/ They have deliveries all over the country and have always treated us right. We go to the local food coops around here to find out about other sources and most of those are shipped to the parking lot of their store direct from the source. One of our wood stoves has a griddle built right into the top where we can cook. We have stockpiled medical supplies including the medication that we take and rotate them so they are fresh. It took some effort to get our meds from the VA in quantities that would allow us to have a backup supply. We have a Miller welder/generator for when weather goes bad on us and have our electric lines buried and a transfer switch for the generator. Our homes primary heat source is wood of which we have 10 acres of. Your local Mormon church is a good source for the canner. You don't have to be a Mormon to use it. We check one out 3 or 4 times a year. They are also a good source for cans, lids, and oxygen packs. We live about an hour from Joplin and take the weather seriously. Went up there the weekend after the last tornado with my tractor to help with the cleanup. It was the second worst one that I have seen. I have personally seen over 30 tornadoes and our food is stored in a cement block room in the crawlspace under our house. As you can see we are hip deep into preparedness. Oh and we have a significant supply of ammo and guns to protect ourselves and our supplies. If you have any questions about any of this stuff, I am not an expert, but I am willing to share ideas with any who ask.

FYI: To heat, cook an meet all the needs of a family of 4...FOREVER (baring wood disease, or natural disasters etc) you will need 12-15 acres of forested land as found in states such as Ark, Ala, Miss, Ken, Tenn, Ga. etc. If you live in states like where I live (S Texas) and the distance between trees is larger I would need 1 1/2 as much acreage or more.

NOTE: This is dependent upon the acreage being MANAGED properly. This means removing limbs that do not leaf in the spring, thinning the trees to allow faster growth, trimming the lower part of the trees to allow higher growth. For most trees that are mature, you can trim up about 6-8 feet and the tree will add the growth over the next couple of years.

So for glk with 10 acres, if its wooded like found in states I mentioned you are in great shape unless the size of the family unit gets too large and I would STRONGLY recommend you not raise horses on your property. Horses are 'dirt' feeders and they are very heavy for the size of their hooves. The result is the land is stripped to dirt. Horses do not move much when they graze, they eat the grasses down to the dirt, which causes the grasses to die off unless you have a lot of land and can rotate pastures. Same goes with goats which are most likely your best choice for a post SHTF scenario. But they do strip the land and eat EVERYTHING they can reach, they too eat to the dirt. Best figure on 2 acres per goat if you have semi pasture land, if you are wooded then you will need 4 acres or more.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21435 by Macky
Replied by Macky on topic AR10T Prepper Forum
Start Inventory

40 Gallons of Water - 5 Gallon stackable jugs
4 Carry 'buckets' of mountain house food, Each bucket a couple weeks a person
Variety of stocked normal food, high Canned protein and Carbs
Life Water bottle, with a couple of filters (should be able to pull water from a dirty toliet if needed)
Emergency candles, Glow sticks
Flashlight, Batteries
Radio, Windup Flashlight
Mega First Aid kit with Splint for large bones.
Emergency Blankets
FireSteel (my favorite)

I would like to have more water.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21436 by Siscowet

Macky wrote: Start Inventory

40 Gallons of Water - 5 Gallon stackable jugs
4 Carry 'buckets' of mountain house food, Each bucket a couple weeks a person
Variety of stocked normal food, high Canned protein and Carbs
Life Water bottle, with a couple of filters (should be able to pull water from a dirty toliet if needed)
Emergency candles, Glow sticks
Flashlight, Batteries
Radio, Windup Flashlight
Mega First Aid kit with Splint for large bones.
Emergency Blankets
FireSteel (my favorite)

I would like to have more water.

Not familiar with that water filter. I use a Katadyn that has a ceramic filter good for 10,000 gallons down to .1 microns. That even filters out Staphlococcus Aureus. Pain in the neck to clean, but have had and used it for 27 years and never been sick due to bad water.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21438 by Macky
Replied by Macky on topic AR10T Prepper Forum
Misspoke 'Life Saver' for the water bottle.

www.lifesaversystems.com/

More
11 years 6 months ago #21442 by Siscowet

Macky wrote: Misspoke 'Life Saver' for the water bottle.

www.lifesaversystems.com/

Gotcha, I will check it out. :thumbs:

More
10 years 5 months ago #37851 by Akai
Replied by Akai on topic AR10T Survival Forum
What does everyone think would be the best way to handle Health issues? :huh: I realize that the strong will survive, but even they might come down with something as simple as a blown out appendix. What do you keep on hand for emergency situations? Looking to stock the old medicine cabinet. :usa:

More
10 years 5 months ago #37914 by foxhunter
Replied by foxhunter on topic AR10T Survival Forum
antibiotics would be difficult to find and the death rate from simple infections would become astronomical. staph infections, pneumonia untreated would be fatal.
a supply of generic cipro,Bactrim and azithromysin is cheap. Bactrim for staph,
and urinary tract infection. cipro and azithromycin treat respiratory infection, tick borne illnesses and anthrax as well as most other bioterrorist infections and
diarrheal illnesses from contaminated drinking water. Try to get a script for a stock bottle from your doctor or worst case, veterinary meds. I get stock bottles, they have a dessicant in the bottle to block moisture. then I vaccum wrap the bottle and store in the freezor(in the dark). This way, they should last far past their expiration date. You should stock up on your routine meds for your hypertension, allergies, arthritis, diabetes, etc as well. If you are willing to pay cash and are honest with your doctor, he will work with you.Most meds that are expired will just become less effective over time. they won't become toxic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51, Akai, jtallen83, NightForce

More
10 years 5 months ago #37933 by Siscowet
Replied by Siscowet on topic AR10T Survival Forum

foxhunter wrote: antibiotics would be difficult to find and the death rate from simple infections would become astronomical. staph infections, pneumonia untreated would be fatal.
a supply of generic cipro,Bactrim and azithromysin is cheap. Bactrim for staph,
and urinary tract infection. cipro and azithromycin treat respiratory infection, tick borne illnesses and anthrax as well as most other bioterrorist infections and
diarrheal illnesses from contaminated drinking water. Try to get a script for a stock bottle from your doctor or worst case, veterinary meds. I get stock bottles, they have a dessicant in the bottle to block moisture. then I vaccum wrap the bottle and store in the freezor(in the dark). This way, they should last far past their expiration date. You should stock up on your routine meds for your hypertension, allergies, arthritis, diabetes, etc as well. If you are willing to pay cash and are honest with your doctor, he will work with you.Most meds that are expired will just become less effective over time. they won't become toxic.

Will Cipro kill Borrelia Burgdorfi? (lyme Disease) Generic Doxycycline is cheap and will do the job for Lyme. I agree Ciprofloxacin and Zithromax are essential, as they are broad spectrum. Maybe some Flagyl ( metronidazole) in case of anerobes such as you would get with a burst appendix, or any stomach wound. Also Levofloxacin will do everything Cipro does and more, though it is pricey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Akai, jtallen83, NightForce

More
10 years 5 months ago #37937 by Akai
Replied by Akai on topic AR10T Survival Forum
Now there's some good info :clap:
Anyone have any Natural remedies they would like to share.