Disaster and emergency response planning, preparation, training, and practice topics go here.

Alarms!

More
11 years 6 months ago #21995 by Dabu
Replied by Dabu on topic Alarms!
:whistle:

Okay back on topic, besides animals, what would be a good alarm that doesn't use a non renewable resource?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21997 by mrraley
Replied by mrraley on topic Alarms!
I had a neighbor in my old neighborhood when I was growing up that had attack geese.

More
11 years 6 months ago #22000 by Bootheel
Replied by Bootheel on topic Alarms!
We live at the end of a long driveway. Wildlife all over the place so motion detectors would be going off 24/7. We got a battery operated metal sensor and bury it next to the road. The sensor is in a piece of PVC and works well on cars,4 wheelers, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83

More
11 years 6 months ago #22004 by Siscowet
Replied by Siscowet on topic Alarms!
B)
1, Win the lottery.
2. Hire 4 highly qualified Spec Ops vets. 8 hours on, 16 off, with one in every four days off.
3. Buy them four AR10' s or equivalent with night vision scopes.
4. Keep them fed and happy.

More
11 years 6 months ago #22012 by Dabu
Replied by Dabu on topic Alarms!
;)

I won $2 on the powerball last time!

So in the mean time I'll just have to use our group members of 3 marines and 1 airmen and 2 sailors for security. :lol: good enough.

But an/pvs an/peq gear is kind of pricy, so that has to wait for the lottery too.

More
11 years 6 months ago #22014 by jtallen83
Replied by jtallen83 on topic Alarms!

mrraley wrote: I had a neighbor in my old neighborhood when I was growing up that had attack geese.

It is painful when they bite.....and I felt silly running from a goose. :pinch: stupid geese......

More
11 years 6 months ago #22016 by Sharkey
Replied by Sharkey on topic Alarms!
I have a friend who is a Harley mechanic and lives out in the woods. Been working on bikes for over 40 years and even helped me build mine. He essentially never leaves his property and everybody just brings their scooters right to him.

He has a 3 foot fence surrounding his shop and keeps geese in there. Anyone gets near it at night and those geese make a racket that'll wake the dead. Then the lights come on and a rifle barrel comes out the window - ready to put that theory to the test... :)

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #22017 by Siscowet
Replied by Siscowet on topic Alarms!

jtallen83 wrote:

mrraley wrote: I had a neighbor in my old neighborhood when I was growing up that had attack geese.

It is painful when they bite.....and I felt silly running from a goose. :pinch: stupid geese......

Having been nailed in the leg by a goose in my younger days, MRraley I think is on to something. Plus, you can get enough too have an extra for Christmas dinner... :drool:
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by Siscowet.

More
11 years 6 months ago #22076 by OleCowboy
Replied by OleCowboy on topic Alarms!
Guinea Fowl

Want an alarm system they are IT! They roost in trees, feed on the ground, are a juicy eat, tasting somewhere between chicken and turkey.

If a ant takes a breath after the sun goes down, they will let you know. We had them on the ranch around the house just for that purpose, they were our alarm system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83

More
11 years 6 months ago #22077 by jtallen83
Replied by jtallen83 on topic Alarms!
I can attest to the volume of that alarm! They were very popular on farms when I was a kid but now that I think about it I don't recall ever eating them, I know they were skipped in the annual chicken butchering day. One difference I noticed was they lacked the range of dogs, they didn't go off as soon as the dogs and they went off on everything.