Disaster and emergency response planning, preparation, training, and practice topics go here.

Alarms!

More
11 years 6 months ago #21885 by Dabu
Replied by Dabu on topic Alarms!
Yes, the fenced in area is about 470 acres. There's a big pond with a nearby stream, so umm.... I think we'll need a few dogs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #21889 by jtallen83
Replied by jtallen83 on topic Alarms!
Yes! you need at least three with that much room. I would study the breeds some to get an idea of what types there are for yourself but..... Around hear the Blue Healer is a very popular farm dog. My brother-in-law has one that will only come near me when a family member is home, unless I would try to get in a building and then he will heard me away, when his family is present he leans against my leg to be scratched,this dog has seen me on a regular basis for the 7 years of its life, they know their job and are all buisness, no tempting them with food, the only way past the dog would be to kill it! He also has some expensive large breeds, can't think of what the huge slobbery things are called but they cost a bunch and just slobber on everyone, the healer makes the rest seem retarded on his farm.
I've also seen people have great results by just going to the pound and finding a dog they connect with. Some of the best farm dogs I've seen were plain mutts.
As a kid we had three, a larger Collie type, a black and tan Coon Hound, and a little Terrier of unknown origin. The coyotes didn't bother the cattle, the rabbits didn't eat the garden, and we knew when a car was getting within a 1/2 mile of the place. They only got dry dog food during the worst weather, otherwise they hunted for themselves and were fat and sassy. I think this hunting helped make the farm theirs to defend, nobody stepped on their turf without an alarm and a response!
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by jtallen83. Reason: poor grammar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dabu

More
11 years 6 months ago #21892 by faawrenchbndr
Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Alarms!
Too much acreage for dogs.........electronic sensors are the only way.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21894 by 10-76
Replied by 10-76 on topic Alarms!
Wow, that's a spread. There's still nothing like flares on a trip-wire: pick the natural funnel points which targets may try to approach in stealth and run your wires higher than a deer's neck. Problem with wires is liability and non-threatening trespassers being injured...

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #21896 by jtallen83

faawrenchbndr wrote: Too much acreage for dogs.........electronic sensors are the only way.

I have to respectfully disagree only because I have seen first hand that dogs can cover ranches with acres in the thousands, just get more dogs. If you run your perimeter ( we call that checking fence) they will rapidly catch on and they will not fail like electronics. You will soon be able to tell if they are barking at each other to join in a game chase or if there is a threat. They will communicate with you if you put the time in to understand what they are doing. At that point there are no false alarms from deer or any other glitches to worry about, no electronic counter measures will prevent them from protecting the leader of the pack, you.
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by jtallen83.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #21897 by 13fcolt
Replied by 13fcolt on topic Alarms!
www.dogbreedinfo.com/boerboel.htm
Bred for the purpose.

I had no idea you were working such a large area. Solar powered walkway lights. They are maintenance free and can be set to come on when someone gets close.
wiring in an auditory alarm that can be turned on when needed is simple enough.
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by 13fcolt.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21901 by faawrenchbndr
Guess anything is possible........I am skeptical that three or four dogs could cover that amount of area. Guess it's possible.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #21906 by jtallen83
Three dogs covered 480 acres of hilly pasteur's and timber when I was a kid, they went to the neighbors on occasion so they went beyond those borders, kept an eye on the cattle and horses as well as us. They might not have physically checked every acre in it every day but they heard or smelled what was going on. One would be "on patrol" all the time. When he would find something his bark would get the rest running. I never timed it but one would go to the head of the lane and wait well before I could hear any car approach, they also seemed to know if it was a friend or a strange car coming and would act accordingly.
They got the title of mans best friend for a reason but they are sorely underestimated these days. Dogs were one of Romes most lethal and feared weapons!
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by jtallen83.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21907 by Siscowet
Replied by Siscowet on topic Alarms!
If you have never had a dog, training them is a big commitment. An untrained dog is a big pain, and as much of a liability as an asset. Some breeds are aggressive, but they are also usually one person dogs. Do some research ,first. Also, understand you will probably become emotionally attached to it. At that point they are not so expendable. Solar powered IR detectors make sense to me. Even have a solar powered IR camera watching my driveway.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #21908 by faawrenchbndr
I know the right breed of dog can do some anpmazing things.
Just thought that would be a hell of an area for three to cover.

What are your plans for the dogs when you are not there?

My opinion, three years worth of batteries and electronic sensors would be my pick. I would also have a smaller fenced inner perimeter for my "living area compound"
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by faawrenchbndr.