Disaster and emergency response planning, preparation, training, and practice topics go here.

Alarms!

More
11 years 6 months ago #21861 by Dabu
Alarms! was created by Dabu
Does anyone have any good natural powered alarms to secure an area?

Any better ideas besides having bells on a string? because that's all I can think of.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21862 by 10-76
Replied by 10-76 on topic Alarms!
Solar powered motion detectors/lights with cameras.

What is the area of concern: interior/exterior or both?

More
11 years 6 months ago #21864 by Dabu
Replied by Dabu on topic Alarms!
Exterior would be a primary. My bugout area has a nice fence all around, but the terrain is hilly so most of the fence isn't visible from the ideal over watch positions.

But I was thinking something more natural, as for a SHIF situation. Non-electrical just for whoever is on watch can alert everyone else.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21865 by 13fcolt
Replied by 13fcolt on topic Alarms!
Well, what are you looking for? There are those portable IR motion sensors that are pretty cheap. My kids got some in those toy spy kits and they aim them at their bedroom doors....or anywhere else the surprise will drive their mother crazy. The range isn't great but the bare electronics can be had online pretty cheap or you can pirate them from the garden center at wallyworld. They put the same sensor in plastic frogs that croak when someone walks by. I think last I looked they were 4 bucks for the small ones.
I was inspired to remove the alarm and replace it with an IR strobe LED, but I no longer have night vision. The sound of artificial frogs could alert you without alerting them... maybe.

Nothing really beats bells on a string for simple though.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21867 by Dabu
The problem with frog alarms is that, there's a lot of frogs in my area :pinch:

And it's normally windy, and the fences are pretty far away, so it'd be hard to hear. :pinch:

more ideas please :laugh:

More
11 years 6 months ago #21870 by foxhunter
Replied by foxhunter on topic Alarms!
I bought driveway alarms that are battery operated with a range of 4 miles as my driveway is a mile long.They can be easily hidden from view. They last about 6 mo before you have to change batteries. I think the system will support 4 seperate alarms.
They pick up any motion withinn 60 feet. I started with one but had to get a second one because deer set it off, so I know if both alarms go off, someone is coming down the driveway. cost about $400 . Sometimes at night the deer start grazing near one of the alarms and I have to turn it off so I can get some sleep because they set it off every few minutes.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21874 by Dabu

foxhunter wrote: I bought driveway alarms that are battery operated with a range of 4 miles as my driveway is a mile long.They can be easily hidden from view. They last about 6 mo before you have to change batteries. I think the system will support 4 seperate alarms.
They pick up any motion withinn 60 feet. I started with one but had to get a second one because deer set it off, so I know if both alarms go off, someone is coming down the driveway. cost about $400 . Sometimes at night the deer start grazing near one of the alarms and I have to turn it off so I can get some sleep because they set it off every few minutes.

Hahah, If I were you, there would be a lot less deer in my neighborhood.

But yes, I would like non-electrical alarms. I would like to live in a SHTF situation longer than the life of batteries :)

More
11 years 6 months ago #21875 by jtallen83
Replied by jtallen83 on topic Alarms!
You're all thinking high tech, get a dog. They don't need juice, just a little food. I actually know for a fact several dogs can survive with no human provided food source and will still protect the home place. They will let you know if it is your friend or your enemy well before any electronic device I've heard of. In a bad bug out situation you can carry a small dog or put a pack on a large dog. The things dogs have done for humans over the ages is mostly forgotten, by us anyway, the dogs still know what to do.
Oh yeah, they are free at the local pound, at least free where I live, I've heard they make people pay in some places because of all the government red tape.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21878 by Dabu

jtallen83 wrote: You're all thinking high tech, get a dog. They don't need juice, just a little food. I actually know for a fact several dogs can survive with no human provided food source and will still protect the home place. They will let you know if it is your friend or your enemy well before any electronic device I've heard of. In a bad bug out situation you can carry a small dog or put a pack on a large dog. The things dogs have done for humans over the ages is mostly forgotten, by us anyway, the dogs still know what to do.
Oh yeah, they are free at the local pound, at least free where I live, I've heard they make people pay in some places because of all the government red tape.

:woohoo: GOOD IDEA! So I don't know too much about dogs. I'm a city boy, and my parents barely had enough food for me and my siblings back in the day.

So, what kind of dog would be the best for watch duty?

And what can't dogs eat? I've heard that you can't give dogs chocolate because it'll kill them, so is there anything else?

More
11 years 6 months ago #21880 by faawrenchbndr
Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Alarms!
Onions and garlic are very bad for dogs as well.
How big of a fenced in area are we talking about?
Few acres?