Disaster and emergency response planning, preparation, training, and practice topics go here.

Alarms!

More
11 years 6 months ago #21911 by jtallen83
Replied by jtallen83 on topic Alarms!
EM pulse, electronics down, Dogs, unaffected and on alert. There are measures that will put down any electronics not protected by a Faraday cage. (you do have a shortwave radio with a hand crank power supply stored in a Faraday cage right?)
I agree about the emotional attachment to your dogs, those three dogs I speak of still get flowers on their graves in the spring, it was like losing a family member, maybe even worse than some family!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21915 by Dabu
Replied by Dabu on topic Alarms!
Because the location is my groups bugout area, we can't store supplies there. It's actually local govt land and there is mostly computer operated.

All of our bags are pretty full. Hauling solar panels and years worth of batteries would not be practical.

Unless they make backpacks for dogs B)

More
11 years 6 months ago #21916 by Siscowet
Replied by Siscowet on topic Alarms!

Dabu wrote: Because the location is my groups bugout area, we can't store supplies there. It's actually local govt land and there is mostly computer operated.

All of our bags are pretty full. Hauling solar panels and years worth of batteries would not be practical.

They do.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21917 by Dabu
:dance: OooOooOo sweet!

More
11 years 6 months ago #21919 by jtallen83
There are dog breeds that specialize in hauling packs, check these guys out;
gsmdca.homestead.com/Activities/Packing.html

There are a bunch more, bread for different terrain and climate.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21920 by Dabu
:laugh: the dogs look happy. I never liked carrying around a bunch of stuff. All the humps I did sucked haha.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21921 by Moreau
Replied by Moreau on topic Alarms!

Dabu wrote:

jtallen83 wrote: You're all thinking high tech, get a dog. They don't need juice, just a little food. I actually know for a fact several dogs can survive with no human provided food source and will still protect the home place. They will let you know if it is your friend or your enemy well before any electronic device I've heard of. In a bad bug out situation you can carry a small dog or put a pack on a large dog. The things dogs have done for humans over the ages is mostly forgotten, by us anyway, the dogs still know what to do.
Oh yeah, they are free at the local pound, at least free where I live, I've heard they make people pay in some places because of all the government red tape.

:woohoo: GOOD IDEA! So I don't know too much about dogs. I'm a city boy, and my parents barely had enough food for me and my siblings back in the day.

So, what kind of dog would be the best for watch duty?

And what can't dogs eat? I've heard that you can't give dogs chocolate because it'll kill them, so is there anything else?

Dogs are excellent for security. The fact of the matter is, most people are afraid of dogs, at least ones they are not familiar with. Labs are great, so are German Shepherds. But a rescue dog from the pound can get the job done as well and will won't cost you too much. Just make sure you get a puppy, that way it gets to grow up with you and you can teach it what you want and don't have to worry about if it was beaten or some :censored: by its previous owner. I have a Vizsla, he's about a year old and he is an amazing dog, he usually doesn't bark but he points. My girlfriend's dog is a rescue dog, he's a great watch dog and will signal (bark)when somethings not right. Just last night he started barking around 3am, I grabbed the 1911 and checked the house. I think he was barking at the bushes in the front of the house tapping on the windows in the wind (I haven't trimmed them in awhile). Either way, he heard something and alerted me so I wasn't complaining. Dogs can eat damn near anything, just don't give them cooked bones. I don't recommend giving your dog chocolate but it won't kill them in small amounts. They'd have to eat like 10 lbs of milk chocolate to hurt them and they would expel it far before then. It's the cocoa that kills them, and most consumer chocolate is low in cocoa. Baker's chocolate or high cocoa bars can hurt/kill them because of their higher concentrations.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83

More
11 years 6 months ago #21922 by Siscowet
Replied by Siscowet on topic Alarms!

Dabu wrote: :laugh: the dogs look happy. I never liked carrying around a bunch of stuff. All the humps I did sucked haha.

I have a really bad joke about why dogs always look happy, but MLotzii and our moderators might have synchronized coronaries if I put it in print. Use your imagination. :pray: :naughty: :dance: :naughty:

More
11 years 6 months ago #21923 by jtallen83

Siscowet wrote:

Dabu wrote: :laugh: the dogs look happy. I never liked carrying around a bunch of stuff. All the humps I did sucked haha.

I have a really bad joke about why dogs always look happy, but MLotzii and our moderators might have synchronized coronaries if I put it in print. Use your imagination. :pray: :naughty: :dance: :naughty:

Yep! :rotfl:

More
11 years 6 months ago #21924 by Moreau
Replied by Moreau on topic Alarms!

Dabu wrote: Because the location is my groups bugout area, we can't store supplies there. It's actually local govt land and there is mostly computer operated.

When I go backpacking my dog carries all of his own food/water and some extra water for me, :laugh:. Hes 60 lbs and has no problem carrying 2 liters of water and some dry dog food. I havn't put much more than that on him but I know he could carry more because he doesn't seem hindered at all by that load even after a good hike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83