Disaster and emergency response planning, preparation, training, and practice topics go here.

Best location?

More
11 years 6 months ago #21025 by VTIT
Replied by VTIT on topic Best location?

OleCowboy wrote: LOL keeps the rif raf out...

2x I have killed a snake in the house:

1) Sunday afternoon, friends over, living room, Dallas Cowboy's whipping up on some team, across the floor goes Johnny no-shoulders (water-moc)...I grabbed the .22 SA pistol in the TV stand next to my chair and pop it in the head, it thrashes a bit and dies. My Army buddy from Ohio asks 'are you gonna clean it up?' Yea, at half time...

2) I come home from work, head upstairs, change out of my uniform and come down stairs, as I am on the way down I see a rattler going across the room, go back up stairs, grab my .22 SA and pop him in the kitchen.

POISONOUS SNAKES! :woohoo: Sorry ain't going there! I'm not afraid of snakes unless they can kill me then....not so much :naughty: . Did I mention there aren't any POISONOUS SNAKES in Vermont? :twothumbs: Yeah I think -5 points isn't enough. Put a couple zero's after that! :mad:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21026 by OleCowboy
Replied by OleCowboy on topic Best location?

Dabu wrote: :laugh: And I thought Texans wore those funny boots for style. I guess I'd wear them all the time too if there is that many snakes around.

LOL you mean these...Snak-Pruffs

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21027 by Dabu
Replied by Dabu on topic Best location?
:cheer: haha! Yes Sir! That's what I was talking about!

More
11 years 6 months ago #21029 by 10before15
Replied by 10before15 on topic Best location?
I will admit we do have a lot of snakes. If I said we have every species here you could say I was lying. But I will say we have MOST species here and yes they are normally pretty big. Like they say everything is bigger in Texas. You know from a survival stand point those snakes are good eatin! I have personally cooked two 4' Cotton Mouths. The first 1 I will use a quote from Crocodile" Dundee "You can live on it, but it taste like shit". Now the 2cd time I used my Paw Paw's receipt for a slow smoke at 250F for 3.5 hours. It was GREAT!

More
11 years 6 months ago #21049 by OleCowboy
Replied by OleCowboy on topic Best location?
Never had cotton mouth, gawd I hate them things, I grabbed one (instinct) while swimming in some waterhole one time, water was not very clear my hand landed on something and I grabbed and lifted, that snake drew back hissing, mouth open and I slung it probably just split seconds before I would have got bit. I was about 16 or so and that began my war on them. I would go see ranchers that had ponds for livestock or creeks and ask them if they would like the snakes cleaned out of the creeks etc. I have spent 3 days on a ranchers place killing them. They will sometime bite a young calf in the head and if its young good chance that calf or foal will die.

For you shooters, nothing like snake killing in the water. Got to hit them in the head, which ain't big!

Guess I would eat on if I was hungry enough...

More
11 years 6 months ago #21213 by txlongshotb4
Replied by txlongshotb4 on topic Best location?
I never ate a cottonmouth, but rattlesnake meat is pretty damn good. It makes for some fine fajita meat.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21283 by 10before15
Replied by 10before15 on topic Best location?
:hijacked: I remember being seven years old fishing in the canal. I had s stringer full of sun perch, and it was lunch time. After eating lunch I came back to do some more fishing. Right of the bat I caught another fish. So I took it off the hook and pulled up the stringer. HOLLY $#!*, two big black Water Moccasin were eating my fish. One of the snakes lunged at me. I ran screaming like a little b!@#$. Then I came back with my 22. To this day if I come across a snake that I didn't now was there I still scream and jump and then kill it.

+2 OleCowboy about shooting snakes on the water! That was one of my favorite past times. Just sitting on top of the pier in the evening time drinking a Root beer and shooting water snakes till the sun goes down.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21326 by Charlie
Replied by Charlie on topic Best location?

Dabu wrote: But besides yummy cows, what kind of stuff could you grow in Texas?

Depends on where you are. The dry line runs from Dallas down to SA. East of that you can grow all sorts of stuff: Nuts, berries, fruit, tomatoes, beans, corn, squash, okra, mellons, you name it. West of the line you can grow the same stuff, but the temperature extremes are greater and you have to irrigate.

My bug-out location is a small town well off the beaten path. The men are mostly farmers, the women are mostly plain, and the kids are mostly rednecks. Everybody drives a truck, most of 'em carry guns, and everybody knows how to shoot. They've got a doc and a vet, and a lake that supplies the town's water. There's a river nearby too.

Charlie

More
11 years 6 months ago #21427 by foxhunter
Replied by foxhunter on topic Best location?

Dabu wrote: In your opinion, where would the best place for survival be in case of the worst case scenario event?

It depends on the event. If yellowstone goes, everything west of the Mississippi is toast as is much of the midwest. If the New Madrid fault goes , the midwest is toast. Interestingly, they say if you are around Branson,Mo, the geology is such that they will be minimally affected. There are rumors that the feds are stock piling supplies in that area. If it is an EMP or say total economic collapse, any city is bad.
I live on a farm in the midwest. I know that if TSHTF, all my deer and turkey, quail and rabbits will soon disappear, because the neighbors(others) will wipe them out. So it is best to stockpile food, seeds for gardening, keep some livestock , organize a co-op with neighbors as they need to be working with you, not against you. learn to identify indiginous plants that are edible and experiment with some recipes.
Ultimately, even if you live in a city and you organize your neighborhood,and stockpile food,have a dependable supply of water, and have the firepower to protect it, you are better off where you are. Because if you just have a bugout bag and hit the road and try to squat in someone else's neighborhod, you are probably just going starve or get shot.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21428 by Siscowet
Replied by Siscowet on topic Best location?

foxhunter wrote:

Dabu wrote: In your opinion, where would the best place for survival be in case of the worst case scenario event?

It depends on the event. If yellowstone goes, everything west of the Mississippi is toast as is much of the midwest. If the New Madrid fault goes , the midwest is toast. Interestingly, they say if you are around Branson,Mo, the geology is such that they will be minimally affected. There are rumors that the feds are stock piling supplies in that area. If it is an EMP or say total economic collapse, any city is bad.
I live on a farm in the midwest. I know that if TSHTF, all my deer and turkey, quail and rabbits will soon disappear, because the neighbors(others) will wipe them out. So it is best to stockpile food, seeds for gardening, keep some livestock , organize a co-op with neighbors as they need to be working with you, not against you. learn to identify indiginous plants that are edible and experiment with some recipes.
Ultimately, even if you live in a city and you organize your neighborhood,and stockpile food,have a dependable supply of water, and have the firepower to protect it, you are better off where you are. Because if you just have a bugout bag and hit the road and try to squat in someone else's neighborhod, you are probably just going starve or get shot.

A very accurate assessment. :thumbs:
I heard an interesting concept: A civilization ending disaster would push us back to the early 1900's as far as industrial capacity and useable technology. One fellow has been collecting all the agricultural and mechanical manuals he can from that era, as well as a 1921 encyclopedia Britannica, as how to references to have on hand. I don't know if that is the case, but we could probably build something easier from those times if it was needed.