Disaster and emergency response planning, preparation, training, and practice topics go here.

Best location?

More
11 years 6 months ago #21430 by 13fcolt
Replied by 13fcolt on topic Best location?
foxhunter brings up some good points. Way back when myself and all the other wild kids were out playing "Red Dawn" there was this one kid whose idea of prepping to fight the reds meant gardening. What? None of us quite got it how carrots and tomatoes were going to kill commies. You need weapons for that, and all he wanted was a .22 and shotgun, not for fighting, for getting meat. Long story short, after much discussion we all realized that a surviving community has roles like any other community, and that supplies will run out and need replenishing. We also realized he was the smart one and way ahead of the curve.
When we pressed him on how he was going to stop someone from taking his food by force, his reply "that's what y'all are for" made perfect sense.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21431 by Macky
Replied by Macky on topic Best location?
Right on. Northern WI or U.P.?

More
11 years 6 months ago #21437 by Siscowet
Replied by Siscowet on topic Best location?

Macky wrote: Right on. Northern WI or U.P.?

Who in regards to what, eh?

More
11 years 6 months ago #21439 by Macky
Replied by Macky on topic Best location?

Siscowet wrote:

Macky wrote: Right on. Northern WI or U.P.?

Who in regards to what, eh?

Being an IT guy, that was embarrassing. :pinch:

To be more clear, I would say the midwest all around is the great choice. You have plenty of fresh water, lots of timber, game, and good ground for planting.

The only drawback is colder climate and unpredictable winters. That makes places like Michigan U.P. and Upper WI maybe harder to deal with if winters are bad. But, Upper WI is probably my first choice.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21441 by Siscowet
;) good choice except the land is rotten for growing anything and the growing season is short. They both have strong traditional communities which balance self sufficiency with a strong social network that offers a lot of support. Problem is, the wild game would never support the population, even though it is only 1/4 what it was around the 1900's. you would never run out of good water though. Its my backyard, by the way.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21443 by Siscowet

13fcolt wrote: foxhunter brings up some good points. Way back when myself and all the other wild kids were out playing "Red Dawn" there was this one kid whose idea of prepping to fight the reds meant gardening. What? None of us quite got it how carrots and tomatoes were going to kill commies. You need weapons for that, and all he wanted was a .22 and shotgun, not for fighting, for getting meat. Long story short, after much discussion we all realized that a surviving community has roles like any other community, and that supplies will run out and need replenishing. We also realized he was the smart one and way ahead of the curve.
When we pressed him on how he was going to stop someone from taking his food by force, his reply "that's what y'all are for" made perfect sense.

Amen. Hence my previous comment about liberal organic farmers.
A true survival situation is everyone contributing to the best of their strengths. The sooner a community structure is reestablished, the better chance everyone has to survive.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21863 by 10-76
Replied by 10-76 on topic Best location?
Upwind of any larger MW cities.

As my co-workers and I work in the field, away from home a large part of the time, we discuss how we would get BACK home in this scenario wherein the roads may be shut down or even too dangerous to travel: X-country on enduros, "borrow" a spare helo., ....?