Disaster and emergency response planning, preparation, training, and practice topics go here.

Best location?

More
11 years 6 months ago #20981 by OleCowboy
Replied by OleCowboy on topic Best location?

Dabu wrote: What kind of crops can you grow in Texas?

Rice, corn, wheat, cotton, sorghum, sugar cane, oranges, grapefruit, lemon, lime and a whole lot more.

We have the 13th largest economy in the world, we are a net exporter.

That said I cannot think of a state in the US that would not be a good place to survive and I have been to every single state. The BEST place you can be is a place where YOU have the knowledge about the AO in order to survive. My personal comfort zone is S Texas, wooded but not heavy and in fact quite light. I do not feel comfy in a heavily wooded AO, Washington State, Oregon etc. Nor am I afraid of the dry or desert climes. I have spent a LOT of time out in Death Valley and the surrounding area. I hate the cold and do not like working or being in it. I like heat and can deal with it.

I would never suggest someone go to a place they would not be comfortable with. I would tell most folks to stay where they are at unless they are from somewhere else, go to where YOU feel the most safe and comfortable...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dabu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #20991 by Siscowet
Replied by Siscowet on topic Best location?

Bootheel wrote: I also vote on the Midwest. Here in Missouri, we have the second largest number of farms in the states. The old timers talk about the great depression and say that they didn't even know it was happening since they were self supporting in their basic needs. And in my area we have a pretty good barter thing going.

Cannot underestimate the barter thing. If the SHTF that will be the new economy. As far as political views, a crisis survival situation will make those a lot less important. It will become who can contribute to the group or community surviving, and who cannot. Politics will soon become a luxury most people won't be able to afford. Cowboy has a good point. Dom't relocate unless it is to a place you know and are comfortable with. Once the SHTF outsiders will probably not be very welcome, unless they bring something of value.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21003 by jtallen83
Replied by jtallen83 on topic Best location?

VTIT wrote:

faawrenchbndr wrote: Midwest

:I-agree:

I think there is enough open space left to hide and the climate is temperate enough so you won't die of dehydration or freezing.

:I-agree:

More
11 years 6 months ago #21005 by jtallen83
Replied by jtallen83 on topic Best location?

Siscowet wrote:

13fcolt wrote: I'd go to Texas. If any one state could sustain itself independently, and NOT be over run with libtards I would have to say it's TX. It's also got some coastline should the need to bug out all they way arise.

If the liberals are trained organic farmers, its another story.

I grew things "organically" well before I ever heard the word. My grandfather did a fine job of showing me how to sustain a family in this environment. He stayed "organic" because he could never afford all the "fancy" chemicals anyway.
I'm a Libertarian Gardner, I'm finding organic gardening is to much work for the real liberals, guess that doesn't stop them from being "certified".!

More
11 years 6 months ago #21007 by OleCowboy

Siscowet wrote:

Bootheel wrote: I also vote on the Midwest. Here in Missouri, we have the second largest number of farms in the states. The old timers talk about the great depression and say that they didn't even know it was happening since they were self supporting in their basic needs. And in my area we have a pretty good barter thing going.

Cannot underestimate the barter thing. If the SHTF that will be the new economy. As far as political views, a crisis survival situation will make those a lot less important. It will become who can contribute to the group or community surviving, and who cannot. Politics will soon become a luxury most people won't be able to afford. Cowboy has a good point. Dom't relocate unless it is to a place you know and are comfortable with. Once the SHTF outsiders will probably not be very welcome, unless they bring something of value.

Right on bro...

My biggest fear is the hordes who who leave (mostly the cities) and head out to the promised land, where the smoke filled brain from not having the windows open as the cruise the various public survival forums that have led them to believe they need to go to, ________________________ (fill in you AO of choice).

So here they come heading out to your AO, where you know the ropes, they don't but are sure they do. Bringing their BOB (bug out bag) that they posted only weighed 37.3 lbs. However when they proudly showed pics of the equipment on the forum and gave us their BILL (basic items load list) I added it all up and asked him how he got 37 lbs when he had more than that just in water, in fact I said: "did you leave out a zero as in 307 lbs?" He stated he had weighed and I was clearly wrong. I replied: You must be using that new water that you add water to to make it...8 gals of water and food for your family of 4 for 2 weeks along with 3 rifles, 1 shotgun and 3 pistols + 1000 rds for each except the shot gun which you are only going to carry 300 rds of 12 ga and all that plus a list of equipment that is 106 items long, enough knives to start a butcher shop and a reloading kit for 9mm, 5.56 and your AK 47...yea guess you are right that is only 37 lbs or so..."

ACTUAL thread and my conversation with him.

When this guy gets out there in your AO looking like the Beverly Hillbillies on steroids on a road trip be scared, very scared...

More
11 years 6 months ago #21009 by 10before15
Replied by 10before15 on topic Best location?
+1 on Texas, but I'm bias. These guys are right in finding a place YOU are comfortable with. Texas has mountains and flats,deserts to beautiful farm land, Lush forest to open plains, many lakes and The Gulf of Mexico. On that note there is Mexico and the Mexican people. This group is really changing the dynamic of Texas. But I would imagine if things got that bad here that most would head back to Mexico. I have no problem with the Mexican people, hell those guys helped fight to make us a Country. I just wish the ones here would learn the language and assimilate. :twocents:

More
11 years 6 months ago #21012 by OleCowboy

10before15 wrote: +1 on Texas, but I'm bias. These guys are right in finding a place YOU are comfortable with. Texas has mountains and flats,deserts to beautiful farm land, Lush forest to open plains, many lakes and The Gulf of Mexico. On that note there is Mexico and the Mexican people. This group is really changing the dynamic of Texas. But I would imagine if things got that bad here that most would head back to Mexico. I have no problem with the Mexican people, hell those guys helped fight to make us a Country. I just wish the ones here would learn the language and assimilate. :twocents:

Me too ;)

I will tell you and area that few men have ever ventured...Big Thicket, E Texas area. The snakes, gators or Bigfoot will get you for sure...

All the species of poison snakes in N America is found in the state of Texas and they big, real big...
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83

More
11 years 6 months ago #21018 by Dabu
Replied by Dabu on topic Best location?
:angry: -5 survival points for Texas for hosting all the poisonous snakes!

More
11 years 6 months ago #21021 by OleCowboy

Dabu wrote: :angry: -5 survival points for Texas for hosting all the poisonous snakes!

LOL keeps the rif raf out...

2x I have killed a snake in the house:

1) Sunday afternoon, friends over, living room, Dallas Cowboy's whipping up on some team, across the floor goes Johnny no-shoulders (water-moc)...I grabbed the .22 SA pistol in the TV stand next to my chair and pop it in the head, it thrashes a bit and dies. My Army buddy from Ohio asks 'are you gonna clean it up?' Yea, at half time...

2) I come home from work, head upstairs, change out of my uniform and come down stairs, as I am on the way down I see a rattler going across the room, go back up stairs, grab my .22 SA and pop him in the kitchen.

More
11 years 6 months ago #21024 by Dabu
Replied by Dabu on topic Best location?
:laugh: And I thought Texans wore those funny boots for style. I guess I'd wear them all the time too if there is that many snakes around.