Disaster and emergency response planning, preparation, training, and practice topics go here.

Survival Doctrine

More
10 years 4 months ago #39833 by Siscowet
Replied by Siscowet on topic Survival Doctrine
First you need to make an honest assessment of the current structure. Will your local government be strong enough to continue as an effective, cohesive body? What about the local law enforcement structure? Do you have the talent and motivation in your local community members to still function as a community that can protect itself?. There is strength in numbers, as well as the ability to multiply the efforts of a small group to survive. My first choice would be to become part of that, and try to make it work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #39834 by jtallen83
Replied by jtallen83 on topic Survival Doctrine
This is the best route for sure. I'm lucky enough to be from a small, tight knit community so the structure should hold. Most of us went to school together or have kids that are in school together, many have some sort of family ties by blood or marriage,
some serious advantages to being "Hillbillies" :twothumbs:
Our biggest concern is safeguarding the massive amount of food stored in our town, it will be our bargaining chip for other goods.

Say Fox, how should one go about stockpiling these drugs? What types of storage will work best and how long will they be good for?

More
10 years 4 months ago #39847 by Libertarian623
Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Survival Doctrine
I concur entirely, being from a small town (around 10K) I know what your saying. I also know that beyond a dozen calls leaves our public safety overwhelmed. I think the county sheriff could muster between 1-2 hundred armed citizens which should be enough. But we do have a couple of valuable assets that would require significantly more to protect. And due to those assets we would become a hotbed of activity. Because of that I don't think my group would hang around within 50 miles or so , a least along the major routes into the area.

More
10 years 4 months ago #39848 by Libertarian623
So back to the point what are you plans to fly under the radar. ....... This brings to mind the lesson of Sun Tzu 'Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak'.

More
10 years 4 months ago #39850 by foxhunter
Replied by foxhunter on topic Survival Doctrine

jtallen83 wrote: This is the best route for sure. I'm lucky enough to be from a small, tight knit community so the structure should hold. Most of us went to school together or have kids that are in school together, many have some sort of family ties by blood or marriage,
some serious advantages to being "Hillbillies" :twothumbs:
Our biggest concern is safeguarding the massive amount of food stored in our town, it will be our bargaining chip for other goods.

Say Fox, how should one go about stockpiling these drugs? What types of storage will work best and how long will they be good for?

get stock bottles, most of which have a dessicant in them ( a packet that obsorbs moisture),
vacuum wrap, then cover with foil to further protect from light and store in freezor.
Some antibiotics are available through Pet supply websites/shops, others, you would have to convince your doctor to prescribe, then pay cash as insurance would track and frown on this.
Many allergy and other type meds are available at Sams in large quantity containers. You may also have an easier time getting your doctor to prescribe a year's supply of your diabetes/heart/seizure med to keep on hand. Just as in storing food, you need to rotate your supply, so once you get a years supply of a maintenance medication, divide it up so you can keep using the old first, and you will always have a year's supply on hand that is up to date.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83

More
10 years 4 months ago #39854 by OleCowboy
Replied by OleCowboy on topic Survival Doctrine

Libertarian623 wrote: So back to the point what are you plans to fly under the radar. ....... This brings to mind the lesson of Sun Tzu 'Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak'.

I give everyone this advice:

OWN property outside the city limits, not in a neighborhood, but just be an address on a road. Try to make sure your living quarters are not visible from the road, do not post no trespassing signs all over the place, that is an invite to see what you are doing. DO post these signs: 'Game cameras in use', this keeps folks out. Also post signs that say 'Livestock on property keep gates closed'. Tells folks you are just some guy raising goats, nothing to see there.

Electricity: Comes from a local CO-OP

Water: YOUR well, not shared. TIP: Drill below water water then add 100 feet (if you run out of water, you can drop your pickup head) my well is at 628 feet for water draw, full depth is 728 ft.

How big: 25,000 acre is a good start, ok most can't write a check that big so work with what you have. FYI: 12 acres of wooded land like found in Ar, Ga, Miss, Tenn, Ky, Ill etc will provide: Heat & cooking, family of 4 FOREVER (assuming no tree disease).

You would be amazed at much you are now below the radar. Govt pays little attention to those outside the city limits and not within annexation distance so live outside limits by at least 5 miles.

Food: 50'x140' or about 7000 sq ft will grow enough food for a family of 5 adults for a full year plus give you enough extra to bater or sell, depending upon where you live you can go much smaller to as little as ⅓ the size where you have long growing seasons and good water supply.

More
10 years 4 months ago #39855 by Siscowet
Replied by Siscowet on topic Survival Doctrine
Not doctrine, but if you live near a Great Lake or a substantial river,consider investing in a modest gill net and pack it away in a UV resistant bag. While illegal to use now, in a survival situation it is the most efficient way to catch fish. Right now the Mississippi and Ohio watersheds are overflowing with Asian carp, which are quite tasty and low in contaminants. A perfect survival protein.

More
10 years 4 months ago #39865 by jtallen83
Replied by jtallen83 on topic Survival Doctrine

Libertarian623 wrote: So back to the point what are you plans to fly under the radar. ....... This brings to mind the lesson of Sun Tzu 'Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak'.

The mother bird approach is one on the books for us. If a threat gets to close to the homestead then some of us will go the other way making a big noise in hopes of drawing the threat to us. Mostly we just plan to hold fast though. Several family members have substantial acres of productive land, it's possible if the community breaks down I would retreat to one of these locations.
I think keeping all activity possible to night time would be one way of not drawing attention, just depends on who's watching. Most government agencies would have superior night capability so if that is the threat then the opposite will hold true, make everything look like normal, non-threatening activity during normal hours.
Some lessons from the Taliban would be good to learn, they have had to deal with massive surveillance so their methods have been fine tuned under fire.
Mostly though I just say, Come get some! :usa:

More
10 years 4 months ago #39869 by OleCowboy
Replied by OleCowboy on topic Survival Doctrine

jtallen83 wrote:

The mother bird approach is one on the books for us. If a threat gets to close to the homestead then some of us will go the other way making a big noise in hopes of drawing the threat to us. Mostly we just plan to hold fast though. Several family members have substantial acres of productive land, it's possible if the community breaks down I would retreat to one of these locations.
I think keeping all activity possible to night time would be one way of not drawing attention, just depends on who's watching. Most government agencies would have superior night capability so if that is the threat then the opposite will hold true, make everything look like normal, non-threatening activity during normal hours.
Some lessons from the Taliban would be good to learn, they have had to deal with massive surveillance so their methods have been fine tuned under fire.
Mostly though I just say, Come get some! :usa:

The military OWNS the NIGHT! I tell folks do not waste you coin buying night vision anything, you cannot buy the tech they have and are getting.

So where is the weakness? Daytime. Soldiers have been on guard from sundown to sunup for 1000's of years because bad guys come after dark. But the big hits by the Radicals have been daytime hits or early eve.

So look like you blend in, just trying to get by, raise a few carrots and some goats (never cows, everyone eats cows, but few eat goat or sheep).

Lay low, aim high, engage the enemy at max range. Think...what is the number 1 reason why folks fail Sniper school? Well it not because they cannot shoot straight. In a word, CAMO. If you cannot sneak up on your enemy you are dead on arrival.

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #39876 by Libertarian623
Cowboy- Your right CAMO is the doctrine to follow in this phase. Deception is everything. Fit in and win, Vary all your movements, everything you do must veil another activity.

Fox - Again thanks for the information.

JT- Your just looking for a reason to expend ordinance.

Sisco- The Gill net, great idea. I have never thought of that.
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Libertarian623.