Disaster and emergency response planning, preparation, training, and practice topics go here.

Survival Doctrine

More
10 years 4 months ago #39784 by Libertarian623
Americans seem to be preoccupied with survival, in a society that really has minimal threats. We have TV shows that sensationalize survival. And that's cool I am good with that. But lets bring to the forefront the doctrine that will be invaluable to you in that situation.
I will try to generalize some of what I feel is in my doctrine/ plans. For me plans are a integral of survival (unlike surviving in the woods) the more you have thought out before hand the better. The first thing you will be faced with is recognition of the event, and being posed to react with plan in hand. There's a couple of things to key in on when trying to determine whether this is it (survival situation) or not. For me it is a information void. Nothing spins me up faster than lack of information. The government will appear to vacillate or become quiet altogether when faced with making decisions. Now is the time to move not after. This may be a short window 1-2 hours or 2-3 days. But your reaction to it may be crucial to your survival. You should have everything in your supplies already squired away and squared away. So pause now and activate your people, ( you should) have a resource list of people that you are networked with ( the butcher , baker and candlestick maker). You need to set up this alert in a covert way maybe just a simple phrase communicated between everyone, or if time does not allow just plain verbal communication. Leadership is not something to decide that day, (do it now). Formal communication plans need to be set up ( just a simple list of rules and tools) (do it now). Your first plan you may activate will be one of two things does the group stay and play ( go to ground and remain in its current location) or load and go ( begin movement to a predetermined location or rally point). If you have done all this and the ball has not dropped you will be in fine shape. Early recognition will have given you head start.
The doctrine of your group will be determined by everyone and what they are willing to do to survive the crisis. I will pause here for discussion of early recognition and activation. I am sure given our group we have varied ideas along
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #39785 by jtallen83
Replied by jtallen83 on topic Survival Doctrine
Very well laid out! Recognition of when to take action is a critical first step, act to fast and your hanging out there exposed and looking like a crazy, to slow and you won't catch up.
For me the plans have been in place with friends and family for years AOR's have been handed out and preparations discussed and revised regularly.
My biggest worry now is that I work hundreds of miles from home. I've joined something called The Modern Militia Movement. They are attempting to organize across the states and have an underground RR of sorts. I have no way of knowing if this will work for me but I'll give it a shot, I've made a few good contacts through them so far, also met a few that were armchair quarterbacks wanting to play it like a video game.
I have caches at family and friends throughout the mid-west to help me attain my goal of getting back to my home in Iowa but I also make efforts to establish local connections wherever I travel to.
Good people will be the biggest asset a person can have when the SHTF! :usa:

More
10 years 4 months ago #39786 by Libertarian623
Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Survival Doctrine
I left out a lot of markers that I would look for to make the conversation less one sided. I hate that. But for you JT one begs recognition, that being when resources are being manipulated. Anytime you see prices going up dramatically look for the reason, if you can't find a good reason then they may be artificially driven up through someone controlling the supply side. For you this means fuel but another thing may be medications , antibiotics to be exact (Fox would you elaborate on this). Glad to hear your prepared JT didn't expect less.
JT if you have a truck equip it with a aux fuel tank and two extra tires and a repair kit in the bed. And make sure that the party gets started without you. I would say that your senses may go off before mine if the scenario was preceding something that caused limited movement of the public just because of the heightened awareness of your travel needs. I will PM some other thoughts.

More
10 years 4 months ago #39791 by jtallen83
Replied by jtallen83 on topic Survival Doctrine
I do get the feeling that working for the DOT may give me a chance to catch some clues in advance, I hope anyway. I'm sure many of you have noticed the new cable type guardrail systems being installed on rural interstate highways. The PR on them is they have been installed for safety but I've seen references to the advantage they give when the flow of traffic needs to be controlled, don't let yourself be fenced in!
I do always keep the fuel tank full but when the rubber meets the road I will always have a plan to make it home on foot. Rivers are your friend in these situations,no GPS needed. That's how people got where they were going for most of human history, good enough for my ancestors then good enough for me!

More
10 years 4 months ago #39796 by Libertarian623
Additionally to be brief keep a eye on assets in your area any unusual movement, it may indicate something. I don't believe in coincidences. Anyone else chime in.

More
10 years 4 months ago #39799 by SOC
Replied by SOC on topic Survival Doctrine
500 people die and 3000 are injured by WEATHER each year. All of this is preventable if proper survival doctrine is applied.

This doesn't account for the crime that results afterword that would be avoided if people took proper weather precautions.

More shooting deaths of Americans in Chicago than all American deaths in Iraq even in the height of the war.

IMHO, proper survival doctrine also means defending yourself from crime...

So... How preoccupied should we be?

In short my advice is this.

Prep for the most common problems in your aria. Then work your way to the less common tell you feel that further prep is not needed.

I'm ready for anything short of an NBC attack in my aria and could handle a limited one.

Why would I think NBC is something I should prep for? I have a class 3 biolab less than an hours drive (at the speed limit) from where I live.

www.niaid.nih.gov/about/organization/dir/rml/Pages/default.aspx

More
10 years 4 months ago #39809 by foxhunter
Replied by foxhunter on topic Survival Doctrine
Any percieved threat of a biological attack, would likely cause the government to start to requisition the appropriate antibiotic ( for anthrax, whatever), and general antibiotics for perceived mass casualties that would require antibioitcs for wound infections.
Due to costs , etc, there are fewer companies producing these antibiotics, so any sudden demand would overload the system. For instance in flu season tamiflu is very hard to get. That is why I have stockpiled a variety of antibiotics for use for my family/group and for trade if needed. Properly cared for they will be good for years after their expiration date.
A sudden increase in inflation would be an early warning sign. As those in the loop, start to stock up

what to have :
Amoxicillin or Penicillin
Cipro or levaquin
zithromax or biaxin
doxycycline
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83

More
10 years 4 months ago #39810 by foxhunter
Replied by foxhunter on topic Survival Doctrine
Also don't overlook communication. Especially if you need to get the group together. Don't count on cell phones. some of us in our group use Ham radio.But
even a cheap GMRS radio can have a 15 mile range if you place a repeater with a high antenna at your gathering point. You can run the repeater off a car battery.

More
10 years 4 months ago #39820 by Siscowet
Replied by Siscowet on topic Survival Doctrine
In a long term survival situation, one thing that will be important and barterable for necessities, is a skill. It can be something as simple as being a Master Gardner, who can give advice on small plot crop raising. A welder, who can fix things that are broken. A person who can draw out yarn and knit from raw wool would be able to provide warm clothing and blankets in a Northern climate. A gunsmith, goes without saying.
Also keep in mind simpler is better. Like trying to fix a 60 or 70's pickup truck versus a 2014. Check out the favorite vehicles in 3 rd world countries sometime, since they are easy to fix. An old Isuszu trooper was very popular for that reason. An old repairable car is preferable to a new non running car. We could learn something from them. If necessary could your vehicle have all its pollution control equipment disconnected, and run without an electronic ignition? Probably not. An ATV with a plow and cultivator behind might be an alternative, or an old tractor.
Back in the 1970's one survival expert kept a set of encyclopedia Britannica and mechanics manuals from the 1920's because he felt he could fabricate just about any equipment found in them, and it would be simple to use and fix.

More
10 years 4 months ago #39831 by Libertarian623
Great points
SOC- NBC would suck, I taught a class about this a few years ago. All the info I had at that time pretty much took this out of the realm of anybody but another nation state. And then it was still limited to small geographical areas less than 1 million causulties.

FOX- Thanks for the list, one thing that you may be able to help with is ,I have always wondered if there was a way to track a MEDRUN or CHEMPAC distribution. If you could even find a way to track the request, it would be a early warning. If you think of something let me know. Also could you elaborate on the repeater for the GMRS system and where to get one.

SISCO- Your right about the skill sets.

Once you have decided that the situation has no short term resolution possibilities things will change rapidly. And chaos will ensue, during this time you and your group will be the most vulnerable. Other groups still have the cohesiveness and resources to mount operations against your group. Information and earliy warning are going to give you time you need to make the right descions. Or if faced with a overwhelming force time to put distance between you. This period will be difficult on so many levels, you and your group will be using resources to fast and this may cause your group to fragment. Needless to say setting up a continious command structure will be neccesary, alternating work periods is a must. To survive this period I feel that the least amount of contact with other groups the better if you can fly under everyones radar during this period will have a real shot at long term survival. What we saw during Katrina was just the tip of the iceberg. Alot of information about this time (katrina) was supressed, ( I was very proud of how the firemen behaved). So Whats your plans for flying under the radar.