Disaster and emergency response planning, preparation, training, and practice topics go here.

Prepper vs. Survivalist: Which are You

More
10 years 4 months ago #39657 by OleCowboy

foxhunter wrote: I don't no that I am a true prepper or survivalist. I just know that society does occasionally collapse for awhile (hurricane Katrina), and Stuff can hit the fan for awhile(Hurricane Sandy). I have had to live without electicity or city water for a week or so more than once due to tornado's in my area, and I was prepared. So I have taught my kids to hunt, fish,and camp(for fun, not survival), and to be self reliant. I have prepared my farm to where I(and my relatives) could live in comfort for several weeks with no outside power or water supply. I keep enough ammo for several people for hunting and home defense. To me this is just insurance, and a preference for self reliance, and common sense.
I am too old to worry about the New Madrid Fault, the Yellowstone megaquake, government collapse, or a massive EMP strike.

Little piece of info few folks know and should:

To heat and cook with wood, family of 4 living in the S, Tex, Ar, Miss, Tenn, Ga etc you need 12 wooded acres to support heating and cooking...FOREVER! Assuming a tree blight or other disaster does not wipe out your tree stand. You do need to know how to harvest your trees.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #39661 by Siscowet
Quadruple that in Norther Wisconsin. The difference in heating a structure from 0 F To 65 F versus 30 F to 65 F is three fold. Get far below zero and it goes up exponentially.

More
10 years 4 months ago #39662 by Siscowet
:I-agree:

foxhunter wrote: I don't no that I am a true prepper or survivalist. I just know that society does occasionally collapse for awhile (hurricane Katrina), and Stuff can hit the fan for awhile(Hurricane Sandy). I have had to live without electicity or city water for a week or so more than once due to tornado's in my area, and I was prepared. So I have taught my kids to hunt, fish,and camp(for fun, not survival), and to be self reliant. I have prepared my farm to where I(and my relatives) could live in comfort for several weeks with no outside power or water supply. I keep enough ammo for several people for hunting and home defense. To me this is just insurance, and a preference for self reliance, and common sense.
I am too old to worry about the New Madrid Fault, the Yellowstone megaquake, government collapse, or a massive EMP strike.

Foxhunter, living in good farm country like you do is probably the best insurance for long term survival if the SHTF.

More
10 years 4 months ago #39664 by Ranchwagon
Foxhunter, care to share those farm GPS coordinates?

Just funning.

More
10 years 4 months ago #39665 by foxhunter
Farm is on dead end road with lake and swamp on 3 sides of the house and barns. very defendable. Also, enough mature timber to heat a small town forever. Plus if I did run out of wood, there would be plenty of dried cow chips to burn! Some meth heads trying to steal nitrous from my tanks, tried to escape into those swamps one night. They didn't do so well, and were happy to surrender to the sheriff.

More
10 years 4 months ago #39666 by foxhunter
Farm is on dead end road with lake and swamp on 3 sides of the house and barns. very defendable. Also, enough mature timber to heat a small town forever. Plus if I did run out of wood, there would be plenty of dried cow chips to burn! Some meth heads trying to steal nitrous from my tanks, tried to escape into those swamps one night. They didn't do so well, and were happy to surrender to the sheriff.

More
10 years 4 months ago #39706 by foxhunter
So, to keep this thread going, I will tell you about my latest Prepper encounter. My wife and I joined up with a few fellow owners of campers of various types mounted on U500 unimogs. These are military type class 6, full time 4x4 go anywhere trucks. Our rigs are set up so we can camp in relative comfort off the grid for extended periods. Most of us own these, not for Armageddon, but because we don't like to camp in RV parks. We go into the desert or mountains to get away from civilization . Anyway, setting around the campfire in the Utah desert one night after a few drinks, one guy, who is an engineer for a large Dallas based company said he was convinced there would be a collapse by 2030 with a huge collapse in population because he believes the world has already surpassed its carrying capacity for humans and as the population grows unabated in 3rd world countries, war and pestilence and hunger will bring this about. He is preparing his rig to live off the grid indefinitely.He based his predictions on a book called "Limits to Growth- 30 yr update" , written in 2004. I am reading the book and while they use a tremendous amount of data and tables to prove their point, based on a computer model they developed in 1972 , I believe the book to be the bible and basis for those who follow the Al Gore philosophy of climate change( of which I am highly sceptical).
Anyone else out there looked at this book? I would love to hear others thoughts from this forum

More
10 years 4 months ago #39711 by Siscowet
Fox hunter I am familiar with the book, and that Scientific American did a follow up recently on that study and found that we are either on track or a little ahead of schedule for that.
Two thoughts; It will be started by something so in innocuous that 99% of the people will not recognize what is happening, and two, it will be a "tipping point" effect, that when it starts, it will be like a landslide, a few small pebbles quickly cascading into a full fledged disaster.
Fifteen to 25 years sounds about right, as that would put me at 80 to 90 years old, I am, like I said, "enabling" my son to learn the skills he needs, as a higher priority than my personal survival. And that will continue to be the focus of my efforts in this area. Right now I am doing research on aquaculture and closed system aquaponics.

More
10 years 4 months ago #39712 by Siscowet
Not to cross threads' but maybe the above and the issue pictured below are related. Strategic planners have access to better data than we do. Maybe they are planning for future food riots based on this type of data, thus the reason for the "militarization" of homeland security. Stranger things have happened.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #39715 by jtallen83

Siscowet wrote: Not to cross threads' but maybe the above and the issue pictured below are related. Strategic planners have access to better data than we do. Maybe they are planning for future food riots based on this type of data, thus the reason for the "militarization" of homeland security. Stranger things have happened.

:hijacked:

I think this is the case, maybe I'm just paranoid but it appears to be getting close judging by the pace of the militarization. Then again I thought the department of education was a plot to dumb down America, wait a minute,
that is exactly what they've done..... :huh: :ohmy: :pinch:
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by jtallen83.