Disaster and emergency response planning, preparation, training, and practice topics go here.

If they did it back then....

More
11 years 3 months ago #26810 by Dabu
So when the world ends, and you'd like to continue to use your rifle, but you need to get ammo. So the search for ammo components start: Where could you find lead, copper, ingredients for smokeless powder and whatever they use for primers?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #26826 by OleCowboy
I would think that would be a far reach trying to obtain raw materials in sufficient quality and quantity to produce ammo.

I really thing your best bet would be to cache in Mil-spec ammo boxes deep qty of your chosen ammo

More
11 years 3 months ago #26831 by Siscowet
Unless you are having firefights every week, in which case the laws of probability would quickly catch up to you, you won't need a lot of ammo. If you have 5,000 rounds, it should last at least one and possibly two lifetimes, even with occasional limited practice. You would need to hoard it, as it would become the new gold standard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OleCowboy

More
11 years 3 months ago #26840 by 10before15
You can acquire your lead from all the broke down cars and their wheel waits, along with tire shops. Raid your family members graves to acquire copper and brass along with electrical cables. They are dead and if they are family they probably wont mind. Collect all the calibers you can find for guns you don't own. remove powder, and add to new bullets. Pack it way low because you never know what is in them. Get all your casting material now and good luck. What I have just stated is very dangerous and stupid, but look at the alternatives.

More
11 years 3 months ago #26841 by 10before15
You can acquire your lead from all the broke down cars and their wheel waits, along with tire shops. Raid your family members graves to acquire copper and brass along with electrical cables. They are dead and if they are family they probably wont mind. Collect all the calibers you can find for guns you don't own. remove powder, and add to new bullets. Pack it way low because you never know what is in them. Get all your casting material now and good luck. What I have just stated is very dangerous and stupid, but look at the alternatives.

More
11 years 3 months ago #26844 by jtallen83
Get a black powder in matchlock, no primer needed and there are many home brews for powder,Grandpa taught me with potash and sugar. You'll still have to hoard some lead and have the proper mold but that is generally easier to locate. Hunting with a black powder rifle will make you be more sure you're on target.

More
11 years 3 months ago #26866 by OleCowboy

10before15 wrote: You can acquire your lead from all the broke down cars and their wheel waits, along with tire shops. Raid your family members graves to acquire copper and brass along with electrical cables. They are dead and if they are family they probably wont mind. Collect all the calibers you can find for guns you don't own. remove powder, and add to new bullets. Pack it way low because you never know what is in them. Get all your casting material now and good luck. What I have just stated is very dangerous and stupid, but look at the alternatives.

Hey and while you are at it, take the Gold out of their teeth, Silver out of their hair and Lead out of their azz.

You are not gonna find much copper and brass in graves. Its rarely used due to cost. They pushed copper and bronze for my sisters casket...$25,000 for the Bronze, $17,000 for the copper skinned.

More
11 years 3 months ago #26879 by Dabu
Replied by Dabu on topic If they did it back then....

jtallen83 wrote: Get a black powder in matchlock, no primer needed and there are many home brews for powder,Grandpa taught me with potash and sugar. You'll still have to hoard some lead and have the proper mold but that is generally easier to locate. Hunting with a black powder rifle will make you be more sure you're on target.

Where can you find potash?

More
11 years 3 months ago #26881 by Akai

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #26897 by 10before15
OleCowboy, sorry I should have clarified. I wasn't referring to digging up people. Just the brass and cooper plates for the markers. Shit, I just can't win in this one. Sorry, insensitive, but my PawPaw told me "I will be laid to rest with my custom pair of 1911's. If it gets bad enough you know where to find them." Love that old man.
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by 10before15. Reason: adjust my grammar