Disaster and emergency response planning, preparation, training, and practice topics go here.

This thread, gone to the DOGS

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #21965 by OleCowboy
Dogs are great if have an interest in survival, camping, need to protect your family or alert you at night of someone creeping thru the woods. What kind of dog? Well there are plenty but in context of this sub forum, but I would tell you to go with a hunting dog, Labs are great, my fave is a Coon dog, hunters par excellence and if you have a family, and especially young kids, then its Coon dog hands down. No kids can pull their ears or gouge their eyes so much as to ever cause a Coon dog to raise a hackle. They are also protectors of your family and your other livestock..

Won't go hungry if you have a Coon dog, you will eat and eat often, squirrel, possum, small game that like trees is their domain and they can track them for miles. In fact, you set that Coon dog free, kick back, have a cold or hot drink and wait on the Coon dog bay, when you hear it and you will, grab your rifle or shotgun and go get dinner.

Feeding dogs: Dogs can eat near anything. Dogs have stomaches that can puke at the drop of a hat, its how they protect themselves from all the stuff they eat.

Garlic: Garlic is ok and a daily dose will keep the fleas and tick off the dog.

Rawhide: Rawhide is the SKIN of an animal. A dog will kill, go for the organ meat first, then the rest and finally the skin and the bones

Bones: Dogs can eat raw, BBQ, fried, roasted etc. A daily feed of a raw chicken neck is pure heaven for a dog. I also will boil up chicken necks to make a stock and gravy and give them to my dogs. Avoid the long bone alongside the chicken leg. Leg is ok, but remove that bone, its almost like rubber and will get caught in their throat. Other than that just about any bones will do.

Milk/chocolate: Basically avoid, but I give my dogs my milk in the bottom of the cereal bowl and never had an issue. But don't feed it to them by the bowl fulls. Same with Choc, its not a dog food.

Other stuff: Popcorn, sweet potatoes, peanut butter, eggs (raw or cooked), bacon, orka, green beans, most green veggies, cheese (real), are all good for a dog and supplements their diet, as long as you remember they are not food stocks.

What not to feed them: Wheat, corn, Soy, can cause allergies in dogs just like people. ALMOST all dog treats that are sold in the US and many dog foods use fillers (wheat, corn, soy). Dogs eat protein, it their prime diet, this means MEAT, DOG ARE NOT VEGETARIANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [and YES, there are people who BELIEVE dogs are vegetarians and do not feed their dogs meat!] Also avoid the junk added to many foods that we also eat, chemicals you cannot pronounce, fillers, artificial colors, flavors, etc etc etc.

Dogs can and will eat most table scraps with no issues, but again remember dogs are meat eaters, that is what you feed them. Let them lick the plates is fine, but its not a food stock, the need meat and a lot of it.

COSTCO in the blue bag, Blue Dog Food products are both healthy food stock for you dogs.

Buddy the Coon dog

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by OleCowboy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #22007 by Charlie
I like hounds. They're good natured family dogs, but very fierce protecting their pack.

My all-time favorite dog was "Mouse", a Catahoula / Blue Tick mix. She was fast as greased lightning and alert to everything that moved (we called her the "Dog Bell"). I once found my 3 year old sitting on her and pulling her ears for all he was worth, and her with the biggest grimace you've ever seen, but she let out not a peep.

She's just a pup in this pic, but she made up about 24" at the withers and 55 lbs. We lost her to an embolism in 2003, and that was one of the saddest days of my life.

Charlie

More
11 years 6 months ago #22019 by OleCowboy

Charlie wrote: I like hounds. They're good natured family dogs, but very fierce protecting their pack.

My all-time favorite dog was "Mouse", a Catahoula / Blue Tick mix. She was fast as greased lightning and alert to everything that moved (we called her the "Dog Bell"). I once found my 3 year old sitting on her and pulling her ears for all he was worth, and her with the biggest grimace you've ever seen, but she let out not a peep.

She's just a pup in this pic, but she made up about 24" at the withers and 55 lbs. We lost her to an embolism in 2003, and that was one of the saddest days of my life.

Charlie

I am so sad to hear of your loss, I would be devastated if my Buddy passed away from something...

I have never had a 'hog dog', but there are a lot of them down here in S Tex due to the number of hogs we have.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlie

More
11 years 6 months ago #22022 by Siscowet

Charlie wrote: I like hounds. They're good natured family dogs, but very fierce protecting their pack.

Charlie

It is like losing a member of your family. Below is one of my all time favorite dogs. She was an Old English Sheep dog. Good at letting us know what was going on, and keeping the Bear and Coyote away from our place. Never worried about my son when he was in the woods with her, as I knew she would have given up her life to defend him in a second. Very gentle, but also very protective. Been six years since we lost her and I still wish she was around.

More
11 years 6 months ago #22028 by OleCowboy

Siscowet wrote:

Charlie

It is like losing a member of your family. Below is one of my all time favorite dogs. She was an Old English Sheep dog. Good at letting us know what was going on, and keeping the Bear and Coyote away from our place. Never worried about my son when he was in the woods with her, as I knew she would have given up her life to defend him in a second. Very gentle, but also very protective. Been six years since we lost her and I still wish she was around.

Another great dog and as I typed I heard ole Buddy's bay, so I grabbed my 20 ga and went up to the top of the hill and ole Bud had a squirrel...LOL I just shook the squirrel out of the tree and let ole Buddy run on him. We could eat squirrel 3x meal a day around here. Just took the 20 ga in case it was a varmint that needed a strategic funeral.

Bottom line is a good dog, with a hunting lineage like a Coon or other dog would be your best asset in a SHTF scenario, he hunts, you eat...

More
11 years 6 months ago #22029 by Redscout02
I take Buddy is a Black and Tan? I only ask because when I was growing up in SEMO we raised them and Walking's ther were a couple time when one look like the other cause Old Bones wasn't picky about which female needed company. So some of the Walk'ers came out looking Black and Tan

More
11 years 6 months ago #22036 by OleCowboy

Redscout02 wrote: I take Buddy is a Black and Tan? I only ask because when I was growing up in SEMO we raised them and Walking's ther were a couple time when one look like the other cause Old Bones wasn't picky about which female needed company. So some of the Walk'ers came out looking Black and Tan

He is a B&T, but look on his chest and I see a Bluetick granddaddy or mama back in there somewhere. He was a rescue and we got him from the Doberman Rescue, they were not sure what he was, LOL, but as you can see in the pic...top of his head has that big ridge, he is a hunter and a Coon dog from noze to tail. He also has the typical Coon dog personality.

More
11 years 6 months ago #22037 by Charlie

OleCowboy wrote: I have never had a 'hog dog', but there are a lot of them down here in S Tex due to the number of hogs we have.

They're kind'a hard-headed, particularly the males. It takes a strong hand to train them, but once you get their attention you've got it for life.

I got Mouse in 1988 and lost her in 2003, so she lived to a ripe old age. The part that hurt was seeing her stumble around and run into things. My ex and I took her out to the back forty, gave her an IP injection of pentobarb, and held her until she quit breathing.

Charlie

More
11 years 6 months ago #22038 by OleCowboy

Charlie wrote:

OleCowboy wrote: I have never had a 'hog dog', but there are a lot of them down here in S Tex due to the number of hogs we have.

They're kind'a hard-headed, particularly the males. It takes a strong hand to train them, but once you get their attention you've got it for life.

I got Mouse in 1988 and lost her in 2003, so she lived to a ripe old age. The part that hurt was seeing her stumble around and run into things. My ex and I took her out to the back forty, gave her an IP injection of pentobarb, and held her until she quit breathing.

Charlie

WOW, rough read, brought tears to my eyes, not sure I could do it, but at the same time I could never stand to see my dog in pain or lack of ability to function.

Never had kids...my children all have PAWS...dog paws