Disaster and emergency response planning, preparation, training, and practice topics go here.

Active Shooter: Share with your loved ones.

More
8 years 10 months ago #46734 by Siscowet
This is a good refresher, especially for people who haven't had training. We all know someone like that I guess.

www.artofmanliness.com/2015/11/30/what-t...e-shooter-situation/
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, Libertarian623

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #46735 by Libertarian623
Good find Sisco, I agree with pretty much everything in it. That's unusual. I can say that when the SHTF so many people never make it off the O. They just stand and gawk. I deal with high stress everyday and I often forget the trauma it causes to someone's system when they are first exposed, defiantly not to be taken for granted. I had a shooting a couple years ago and we had a rider with us that professed to be the shit (been there done that) and all that. When we rolled onscene I actually left her in the truck. When we brought back the victim ( bad, bad, bad) think the worst in this case. Well she froze when I asked her to check his BP , so I just set her beside him and told her to get me a pulse. Well by the time we got to the hospital she was just repeating what she had got for a pulse just holding the guys wrist the whole way, it was kinda funny. When my partner and I came back out of the hospital she was still sitting on the bench seat where we left her. It took her a full thirty minutes before she was even somewhat back to normal. She had a Acute Stress Reaction. People seldom remember anything when exposed to a event that they are not conditioned for, and the Acute Stress Reaction is for real. If they are not conditioned for the event they will default to there training in some way shape or form. And if they don't have any previous training or experience they will just plain lock up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, Siscowet

More
8 years 10 months ago #46737 by jtallen83
Very good article. I am constantly amazed at most people's lack of situational awareness. I blame much of this on the helicopter parent syndrome. Kids are so isolated and protected they don't seem to worry about anything around them and they carry this lack of awareness into adulthood. When I was a kid everything could hurt you, I was told to grind the feed but "Stay away from the pulley, it will take your arm off", "go fix the fence but watch that bull, he'll kill you." I give credit to this combined with hunting squirrels and rabbits to feed the cats and dogs at age 5 for training me to always pay attention to my environment.
Train, Train, and train some more. Take your family shooting and familiarize them with every weapon possible. I find this the easy part because I love to shoot.
Medical training is another matter. It is hard to find good medical training and hard to actually practice. I would be very interested in any suggestions in that area, I'm sure some of the training I got 30+ years ago in the military is still viable but I haven't gotten any training for a sucking chest wound since then and the CPR methods appear to have changed since . I've got what I think are good first aide kits but I'm just not sure how well I could use them..........

More
8 years 10 months ago #46739 by Siscowet
If you have the time, take paramedic training at a local community college. They often have night courses. With your traveling, probably wouldn't work for you JT.

More
8 years 10 months ago #46749 by Libertarian623
Jt- The training is still very valid , a lot changes but stays basically the same. Trauma is trauma. Get a up to date CPR course some weekend, hook up with a local fire station or hospital. I can send some text books, I taught paramedic for 10+ years. just depends how much time you want to spend, basic EMT courses run 200-300 hours depending on the state. Paramedic is a associates degree in most states now and a 1500 or more hours for a good one. What ever you need my friend I can help you out.

More
8 years 10 months ago #46750 by Libertarian623
Infact as I write this I am on a long distance critical care transport, returning to station after hauling someone to the other side of the state. I mostly due critical care transports when aircraft are not flying. Sometimes caring for patients for up to 4.5 hours and hundreds of miles. I live pretty far off the path. We can give any drug of treatment required, Have constant communications with a doctor if needed. Basically acting as his eyes ears and hands. I am 6 for 6 in the last six shifts, been way to busy.

More
8 years 10 months ago #46751 by Libertarian623

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #46757 by Siscowet
The older I get, the more I appreciate having guys like you available out here in the boonies.
:twothumbs:
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Siscowet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Libertarian623