Disaster and emergency response planning, preparation, training, and practice topics go here.

Free Shooting Range In Arkansas

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #27140 by jtallen83
I found a real nice range that is free and open to the public sunup till sundown. It is is the Ozark National Forest 8 miles north of Clarksville Arkansas on Hwy 21. They have it divided in two sections, one has 7, 15, 25, and 50 yard stations, the other side is 50, 75, and 100 yards. They have nice benches for each that have seats that can rotate around the whole bench so lefties are not left out. I've been there the last two Sundays now and had a good time, not just shooting but meeting new like-minded friends.
I only brought my 1911 with me but wish I had brought my AR-10, maybe I can talk the wife into bringing it down. I'm a little nervous about keeping it in my POV or motel room but maybe I can talk one of my new found range friends into storing it for me. The gun culture is strong here and the local shop, E-Z Pawn & Gun, has good prices on the ammo they have. He even has a pile .22 and 9mm on hand.
A retired postal worker is the volunteer rangemaster there. He keeps the target holders repaired and the trash picked up so if you're there be sure to thank him. They were going to close it due to budget constraints but he convinced them he could keep it up and running without park service help. If you want to make his day leave some brass in the box at the range board and he will put it to good use. He has a 300 Blackout he makes cases for out the left behind 5.56. Sounds like he loads about everything I've heard of.
Being a government worker now I have as much or more time on my hands than when I was home on disability. This range will help me occupy some of that time :twothumbs:
Now if the Best Western wouldn't mind if I bolted my reloading press to the table I can occupy the evenings as well B)
Sure hope I can find a similar facility when the move me to the Shawnee National Park in Illinois.
Anyone here know of any ranges in southern Illinois?
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by jtallen83.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #27148 by Sharkey
Ya know, I knew damn well things were going to work out well for you JT. Sounds like you are doing well, making friends AND getting in some range time. God Bless ya man. Nice to know things are looking up and moving in such great directions for you. :thumbs: :thumbs:

More
11 years 3 months ago #27152 by jtallen83

Sharkey wrote: Ya know, I knew damn well things were going to work out well for you JT. Sounds like you are doing well, making friends AND getting in some range time. God Bless ya man. Nice to know things are looking up and moving in such great directions for you. :thumbs: :thumbs:

I can't comment on the details of the job in a public forum, unlike most I'm taking the employee handbook seriously! You can count on the fact that I will push for the right things to be done and follow the rules given. I have to as I have a two year probationary period due to my disability. After that I can get career status and raise all the hell I want! :mad: until then its :banghead:
Oh yeah, and document, document, document!

More
11 years 3 months ago #27155 by Sharkey
Sorry. Didn't mean to sound happy for you there...

More
11 years 3 months ago #27156 by jtallen83
Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to have a job related to construction again. I just have to adjust, or make adjustments in, the government system. I'm more accustomed to changing what I see wrong on the spot, hence a little frustration with the system. This frustration may ease some when they start paying my salary and expenses, so far red tape has laid it all on me.
I haven't had a job where I only worked 40 hours a week since I was in high school so all the free time is taking some adjustment! I'm all in, good, bad, or indifferent! :usa:

More
11 years 3 months ago #27169 by 13fcolt
I've been to that range many times. There is another like it, in Danville should you find yourself in Yell county, called peeler gap range. I used to frequent both when I lived there.

Also, there is not ONE SINGLE hotel I would ever leave firearms in. Especially around there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83

More
11 years 3 months ago #27173 by jtallen83

13fcolt wrote: I've been to that range many times. There is another like it, in Danville should you find yourself in Yell county, called peeler gap range. I used to frequent both when I lived there.

Also, there is not ONE SINGLE hotel I would ever leave firearms in. Especially around there.

Cool, :) one of our jobs is just 20 miles north of Danville, I've heard of a longer range south of here but nobody had a name. Now if I can find a place to stash the rifle,I can't have firearms in my govt. vehicle and hiding an AR-10 is a whole lot harder than my 1911.

More
11 years 3 months ago #27176 by faawrenchbndr
Used to have a great range when I was in Georgia. I can shoot on Post here, but it is a bit of a pain, and only open weekends. Prefer to shoot during the week and have the range to myself.

Great news with you getting settled in with the new job,......may get backinto Civil Service when my degree is finished next year. Definitely a different job setting........

More
11 years 3 months ago #27178 by Siscowet
Great news about the job JT. As far as free ranges, they are nice, but maintenance is hit or miss. A problem that our local free range has.

More
11 years 2 months ago #27924 by glkingar
There are some more nice ranges in Arkansas. One is in Berryville, AR. www.thegunman.com/ The Rifle range distances are: 100 yards, 200 yards, 300 yards, "NRA exact" Bench rest. The rifle range has 6 right hand and 6 left hand positions. The Pistol range has 10 positions shooting out from inside the pistol building to outside targets. The pistol range distance is 75 feet. The Rifle and Pistol ranges will be open to the public also, check out the progress.

Knesek Guns in VanBuren, AR has a 1000m range.

The Hobbs State Park east of Rogers www.friendsofhobbs.com/ has a nice free range that I spend most of my range time at simply because it is close enough that if wasn't so lazy I could walk to. Walking down Hwy 12 with an arsenal might cause undo attention though. It's a small range and only goes to 100 yds.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83